Monday, February 15, 2010

teaching a lefty 8-year old to crochet

Wow ~ I couldn't wait to teach my oldest daughter to crochet...just like my grandma taught me. Two differences...one, my daughter is a lefty and I'm not and, two, my grandma had patience. Geez...I had to really stop and think about the mechanics of crocheting. I realized that there is almost a tripod of tension that you are balancing and then rebalancing with every stitch. Once I had that down in my head, I could move on and verbalize my thoughts. Of course my daughter didn't understand why her stitches didn't look like mine, but that's where that patience gene came into play. After about two inches of the chain stitch, she wanted to make a scarf. No. So, I told her I would teach her the single stitch once she made a chain that extended from one end of our long hall to the other. I figured she just really needed to get a good feel for the craft and if she had enough will to keep making that very long chain, then she could graduate to the next stitch. Surprisingly, she did it and was so proud of herself. Also surprising was the fact that she looked at me with a big smile and said, "Mom, you're a good teacher". She knows just what to say to skip to the double stitch!

4 comments:

  1. I really like how you photographed the market bags hanging from tree branches. It gives them a really cool, organic look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you are so proud of your daughter! I'm a lefty, too, and I know how hard it is to learn to do certain things in a right-handed world. My sister-in-law taught me to crochet by mirroring her. I just watched what she was doing as if I were looking in a mirror and copied her. It worked out pretty well! Don't even get me started on learning how to play guitar lefty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca ~ thanks for the kudos on the market bags! i've been playing around with photography, being new to all of this. hubby made a light box for me today ~ can't wait to play with that tomorrow!

    LOVE the mirror idea...i'll have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my mum taught me to crochet- I'm a lefty, shes a righty, I sat on her left mirroring her and it worked!

    ReplyDelete